Tuesday, 15 June 2010


Ok, we are nearly there so hang on in there.

Load up RailWorks and Start the game.
Click on Routes, then New Routes.
Choose a template, for now just pick Default, (but the choice is yours) Click Create and give your Route a name, I called mine Bishop. Click ok and an empty route will load up with the default textures.

Close RailWorks.

Navigate to your Route folder. (something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Content\Routes )

Organise the folder by date, your new route will be at the top, I rename my route folders so I know which one is which. I added BISH in the second set of digits.

Inside that folder is a RouteProperties.xml

We are going to edit this file using Notepadd++ and reference our new terrain xml.

PLease note the correct way to do this is to set up your own Route template that is discussed on the WIKI

Ok, now that I am breaking all my own rules, please Note... Take care editing any xml in Notepadd++

1. Open the RouteProperties.xml in a text editor such as Notepad++
2. Browse to the following. I have highlighted the important bits in RED:

(Click on image below for higher res image)

3. Change the parts highlighted in red to match the location (including product and provider) of the exported texturing file you have created.
4. Save the RouteProperties.xml then run RailWorks and load the route. Your new terrain textures should now be available.
5. If your new texturing file is in a provider/product which is not preloaded, you should tick it in the object set filters for that route so that it is preloaded next time.

So this is where the fun started.

With Ben's RW Ace tool it worked great but I had an issue with the last mip. I have emailed Ben to see if he can improve the situation. Will keep users posted.

So I reverted back to the trusty ToAce by Paul Guasden, only to find out the problems of using the 64 bit system. I'm sure there is a work-a-round for this but at midnight and no tech help I just left it alone.

Time to boot up the trusty xp machine to convert the tga files.
And here is the result. Not the smooth ending I wanted but got there thanks to Ben and Paul's tools.
Note that no spraying/painting was used on the below image, all of that was because of the values we put in the xml.
By going through this process I certainly have felt users pain if they do not have photoshop.
All noted for sure.
So thats the end of Wang, next up procedural grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment